This vacancy is now closed
County Surgery is a friendly EMIS WEB practice in Abington, A small team serving 4100 patients of Northampton. We are looking to recruit a Part-time Medical Secretary/Administrator to join our existing enthusiastic team. Audio typing is essential. This is a fast paced position with knowledge needed on how to self-manage and keep up with the latest referral pathways.
Hours are 12.00 – 16.00 Monday to Friday
Starting salary is £8.50 ph but can be increased dependant on experience and skills mix
To ensure you have the correct skills set, County Surgery will be doing a review of your skills at interview stage. This will include answering a basic Medical Terminology quiz and a small dictation to be typed. Equipment to complete these tasks will be provided on the day. This will ensure that you can also have some understanding at the job role that will be required from you and assess if you are suitable.
Please see Job Description and person specification below which outlines our requirements for the role.
Uniform is not provided but we respectfully ask that you wear black/grey trousers/skirt, white top and black/grey cardigan/jumper as well as black/brown closed in shoes. Bear arms and showing of undergarments is not acceptable. A locker is provided for your use, you will be required to bring your own padlock for these and mobile phones can then be placed in your locker during your working hours.
Please complete CV and a letter explaining your ability to work under the specific requirements and person specification bring to County Surgery
Following your application, County Surgery may be in touch for further information, please ensure you include a reply email address and monitor your emails regularly.
Click here to apply now.
To provide general secretarial support to the Partners, Practice Manager/Senior Admin Lead/Senior Admin Lead and health professionals involving word processing and audio typing skills with general clerical work.
- To provide an efficient audio, copy typing and word processing service for GPs and health professionals as required. This includes the typing of letters, reports, and patient referrals, choose & book, patient deductions, cytology, practice notification list on open exeter (PNL), memorandums etc. in an accurate and quality manner.
- To assist the Practice Manager/Senior Admin Lead with relevant clerical and administrative duties.
- To establish and maintain filing and administrative systems so that written or computer information is easily accessible and secure.
- To retrieve medical records and assist the completion of medical/insurance records.
- File patient records and correspondence in patient medical records.
- To maintain the computer clinic system in an accurate and secure manner.
- To assist with the gathering of statistics and information when required.
- In liaison with the clerk responsible, maintain adequate supplies of office stationery in order to perform your secretarial duties.
- To receive and dispatch mail and maintain a pending system.
- Any other duties as deemed appropriate
- In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately
- In the performance of the duties outlined in this job description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carers, practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential
- Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business of the practice may only be divulged to authorised persons in accordance with the practice policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data
Health & safety:
The post-holder will assist in promoting and maintaining their own and others’ health, safety and security as defined in the practice Health & Safety policy, the practice Health & Safety manual, and the practice Infection Control policy and published procedures. This will include:
- Using personal security systems within the workplace according to practice guidelines
- Identifying the risks involved in work activities and undertaking such activities in a way that manages those risks
- Making effective use of training to update knowledge and skills
- Using appropriate infection control procedures, maintaining work areas in a tidy and safe way and free from hazards
- Actively reporting of health and safety hazards and infection hazards immediately when recognised
- Keeping own work areas and general / patient areas generally clean, assisting in the maintenance of general standards of cleanliness consistent with the scope of the job holder’s role
- Undertaking periodic infection control training (minimum annually)
- Reporting potential risks identified
Equality and diversity:
The post-holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers and colleagues, to include:
- Acting in a way that recognizes the importance of people’s rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with practice procedures and policies, and current legislation
- Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers and colleagues
- Behaving in a manner which is welcoming to and of the individual, is non-judgmental and respects their circumstances, feelings priorities and rights.
The post-holder will participate in any training programme implemented by the practice as part of this employment, such training to include:
- Participation in an annual individual performance review, including taking responsibility for maintaining a record of own personal and/or professional development
- Taking responsibility for own development, learning and performance and demonstrating skills and activities to others who are undertaking similar work
The post-holder will strive to maintain quality within the practice, and will:
- Alert other team members to issues of quality and risk
- Assess own performance and take accountability for own actions, either directly or under supervision
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the team by reflecting on own and team activities and making suggestions on ways to improve and enhance the team’s performance
- Work effectively with individuals in other agencies to meet patients needs
- Effectively manage own time, workload and resources
The post-holder should recognize the importance of effective communication within the team and will strive to:
- Communicate effectively with other team members
- Communicate effectively with patients and carers
- Recognize people’s needs for alternative methods of communication and respond accordingly
Contribution to the implementation of services:
The post-holder will:
- Apply practice policies, standards and guidance
- Discuss with other members of the team how the policies, standards and guidelines will affect own work
- Participate in Audit where appropriate
Physical Make Up
- Presentable appearance
- Communicates well
- Air of Confidence
- Competence with spelling
- Audio Typing
- Good level of education, including English
- Good Computer Skills
- Appropriate secretarial qualification
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Shorthand skills
- Team player
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Confidence to deal with health professionals at all levels
- Ability to work under pressure
- Resilience to Customer pressure/complaints
- Sympathetic approach to patients
- Not afraid to use initiative
- Ability to work without supervision
- Works well with others
- Own transport desirable
- Flexibility to work at short notice / cover